So this is a slightly delayed summer makes blog post, but I was lucky enough to receive some viscose from Minerva Crafts to review and I’ve been waiting for them to publish so I could share my makes.
The product review, which features three of the dresses I made, is here.
So why three dresses? Well, I decided to make the True Bias Southport dress for myself this summer, and started out using some tropical print viscose from Remnant Kings which I got for about £2/m in their sale last year. Obviously I totally failed to take any pictures of this version, but trust me when I tell you it has a hibiscus themed print and it’s the short length version.
I added some length to the bodice piece before I even started, cutting the pattern piece below the bust darts and spreading the pattern pieces there to give me a little more of a blousy look. There was zero science behind this, I just thought the bodice looked really short when I had the pattern stuck together.
I found the pattern really easy and quick to sew together; there are bust darts, the arm and neck lines are finished with bias binding (I used shop bought for this) and then the skirt is just fastened to the bodice at the same time as the channel for the drawstring. Simples!
Then I got the email from Minerva offering a chance at a product review, which I happily accepted, thinking I’d make myself the maxi version. But no, the fabric arrived and both my daughters decided they loved it too. With quite bad grace, I decided that I could cope with getting a knee length version out and making them each a Mini Southport dress. You can read all about those on Minerva’s blog, here .
The only thing I’d change if I were to do it again would be to raise the neckline slightly; it feels very low cut and there were definitely points at which I was conscious of my bra peeping out, which is not ideal!
So there you go, 5 versions of the same frock! I’m going to admit to not having a burning desire to make any more of these right now, and I’ll be surprised if I make more next summer too, but I’m really happy with the ones I’ve got. Easy to make, easy to pack, and equally useful as a poolside coverup and an evening meal outfit; perfect holiday dresses!
So that’s probably the end of my summer makes (it is, after all, almost October!!); a few things didn’t get blogged but I’m not sure how much I have to say on them so roll on the autumn makes!
Pattern: True Bias Southport dress
My measurements: bust 35″: waist / torso 30″: hip 40″
Size cut: 6 (based on finished measurements rather than body measurements)
Adjustments made: added 1″ to bodice length as looked very short
Fabric: 1.2m of tropical rayon from Remnant Kings (110 wide) plus pre made bias from Hobbycraft and plain black cats eye buttons (Short version)
2.2m of rayon from Cotton Reel Studio for maxi version, with more pre made bias and pink Love Prym snaps
3m of viscose from Minerva Crafts, plus pre-made bias and blue / navy / white Love Prym snaps
Future adjustments: consider raising neckline slightly.
Make again: Yep!