Hello there! See, I’m back again already – I told you I had some things ready to blog if I could just find time for photos!
This make is another repeat make (have you noticed how often I do that? I really should make more effort to get the thing right the first time!) This time it’s the Sew Over It Tulip Skirt again. I did make a couple of changes, so I thought it worth another blog post.
It may seem rather daft to make another plain skirt, but this one is a case of needs must. Since October, I’ve lost over a stone and a half in weight and I’m at the stage where my work clothes are literally falling down. Which is a nice problem to have, but not a great state to be in at the office! So I’ve reshuffled the to do list to produce more work appropriate wear.
This version was made in a wool from Fabworks: if you haven’t realised it’s my current favourite shop, you should have! They have a great website which is becoming more and more user friendly all the time (it only launched a few months since) and their service and delivery times are amazing. I ordered on Sunday evening and I got my parcel on Tuesday morning.
The fabric is a lovely blue wool in navy with flecks of different colours, including bright fuschia pink. It has proved rather difficult to photograph, but it is much drapier than my previous, green version. I think this is an improvement. I prefer the way it hangs now, it just looks happier somehow!
I ordered 2 metres (downside of online shopping, you can’t often ask for fractions of a cut length) as the pattern recommends 1.8m. I adjusted my version of the mini length pattern to add on 1.5″: I could clearly have cut the longer version of the pattern, but then I’d have had to reprint or retrace and I just didn’t have the strength!
Turns out you can still cut this from less than 1m of wide fabric if you’re cutting the pockets from lining material.
I also added a little on to the waistband and the front skirt piece by the simple means of shifting them slightly (1/4″) away from the fold in the fabric before cutting. This might not be the best way given I think the front hem now dips slightly? but that might be something else? – any ideas clever internet people?
Finally, I did this time locate an 8″ concealed zip in an appropriate colour: it definitely looks better!
Pardon the creases BTW, these photos were taken after wearing it to work for a whole day, which includes 2 hours in my car.
So here are some really classy selfies!
Yes, those are the loos at work – the things I do for this blog! The colour looks very dark here, but it gives an idea of the length on me (I’m 5’7″)
See what I mean on the hem? Is this my ad hoc width adjustment or is it just that, proportionately, my bum sticks out more than intended for this pattern? (Pardon the background mess BTW, we are doing a sale of old baby stuff at the weekend and there are things EVERYWHERE in my house which were previously safely hidden in the roof!)
Front view on Gertrude. I think this shows the speckles in the fabric best. The fabric was an absolute dream BTW, it feels lush and although tricky to press (as evidenced by my hem), it holds the crease beautifully. I did fully line the skirt again, I prefer that generally and particularly for a work skirt where it’s almost a guarantee that I won’t wear it without tights.
Just as a contrast, here’s one with my cropped jumper instead of the blouse. I think I prefer this look, although I thought it would be the blouse I liked.
So basically, this is a great pattern and I’m much happier with it in this lighter weight fabric. There will be more versions, but I may not bore you with the details! I’m much more comfortable in it slightly longer at work, the waistband went in much more neatly in the lighter fabric, the concealed zip’s a win.. all round, it’s a success!
Hurray for successful sewing of clothes I actually NEED rather than want. Particularly when the main fabric’s £8/m so the whole thing probably cost around £10.